homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bok Choy

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bok Choy
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 23:44:47 -0400

I chopped and cooked up 4 bunches heads tonight along with some fresh
scallions and garlic in some sesame oil. I basically stir-fried
everything together and cooked it about halfway, then put it in freezer
containers. I still have 3 large heads whole, and 6 or 7 more out
in the garden that also need to be harvested.

Tomorrow is fish night (trout from the White and Buffalo river over in
Arkansas.) Perhaps a little white wine added to those greens I cooked
up tonight over the trout? I could call it, Fish in the Weeds. :)
Wednesday is meatloaf, I'll be making the jelly roll type with the
cooked bok choy in the center (I do that with spinach, so it should work
with the choi greens.
Thursday night is shrimp stir fry night..more white vegetable...
Friday is roast pork with vegetables...fresh green beans (not mine tho)
with new potatoes (mine), and I'll figure out someway to include the bok
choy..
Sat is moo shoo pork or some other Asian dish to use up some bok choy
Sun is Monster Beef burritos with pork laden green salsa.

Anyway, I am going to dry some, too. I found a site that talked about
how it was dried in ancient times, then used in soups. That works for
me..even if I just toss it with a pack of ramen noodles for lunch.

Bev

tonitime AT juno.com wrote:
spinach. Prepare the washed produce by cutting to size your like,
blanch in boiling water for less than 2 minutes, plunge into ice
water to cool quickly, and drain/dry on thick terry towels (squeeze
out all the extra liquid). Portion out into containers or bags, suck
out air, and freeze. Like everything else, it isn't like fresh - but
still works well in stir fry, soups, and other dishes that need
layered greens. Good luck, Toni

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.