homestead - Re: [Homestead] New signs of spring

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] New signs of spring
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 23:46:15 -0400

clhw wrote:
Blackberries are in bloom here! Didn't see any damage.

Blackberries are starting to bloom here, too.
Some of my trees still haven't shown any new growth after the cold
damage. Among them are a couple of pecans, my two dwarf Japanese maples
and a ginko I planted last year(read lots of money invested there).
Also, last year I planted a Catawba grape that ended up making it up to
the 6 foot mark last year, and it looks as dead as a doornail, too. I'm
really quite upset by it all.
We have one Buff
Orpington who is attempting to set. We're not ready for more fuzzball
babies...

I chased a Black Australorp off the nest today to collect eggs and she
protested for a good 30 minutes afterwards making me think she was
beginning to set, too. I'll leave her be in the future.

Thanks, Bev, for the update on your work. I was wondering.

You know, if it were just one thing, learning the routine of the job, or
learning the theory of what I am doing, or learning Spanish, or
relearning what I used to know, it wouldn't be so rough....but
everything at once is overwhelming. While the paycheck is nice, and we
need it desperately, I am working on paying off the bills and the house
so that Ron and I can "play" and do the things we love on a more regular
basis. I guess that makes me normal...to want to not work...lol..
It's a startup type company, so everyone wears multiple hats. I've
already acquired two new duties that were not originally part of the job
offer..Everyone does the work of three people. To go from 5 to 30
million bucks in 3 years is a good sign of a growing company, and with
growth comes opportunity.

Anyway, today I planted over 50 tomatoes, and still have the peppers and
tomatillos to plant. The corn has not broken the ground yet, and I am
worried as it has been really dry and even my sweet potatoes look
roasted and thirsty. I watered everything, picked some spinach, swept
the deck, rigged my new tackle box, and cleaned out the chicken coop, so
today wasn't wasted. Ron painted, stained and cut trim and baseboards
for the flooring project. The kitchen and hall is now done, and the
living room is 75% done. He also helped me dig holes for the plants as
my shoulder just wouldn't have made that 50 mark.

Saturday was National Astronomy Day, so we spent the day at a local
museum with our astronomy club in a telescope and astronomy exhibition.
The turnout was good and the weather was nice, but I could have used a
bit more sunscreen. :)

"See" y'all next weekend...

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.