homestead - [Homestead] New signs of spring

  • From: clhw AT infoave.net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] New signs of spring
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 21:48:19 -0400

Blackberries are in bloom here!
Didn't see any damage.

I noticed that a gardenia bush at one homestead site on our property looks
very rough. It may be dead. I thought gardenias were evergreen and have
lasted, like the wild holly, through sub-zero temperatures here. I don't
know what happened.

The pasture grasses, especially fescue, are growing rapidly. I don't
remember seeing the proliferation of wild onions (actually, garlic) that
usually heralds spring. There were MANY robins before the late cold
temperatures. Don't see any now. A wren scolded us from the peach tree as
we walked up the driveway....maybe she is nesting? We have one Buff
Orpington who is attempting to set. We're not ready for more fuzzball
babies...

Thanks, Bev, for the update on your work. I was wondering.
Lynn