homestead - Re: [Homestead] interesting discovery

  • From: clhw AT infoave.net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] interesting discovery
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:15:15 -0400

Called around here a dirt mover or a scoop pan.
We had one for a while which a neighboring farmer was discarding.
He said his father had used it to smooth road beds and aid in leveling
fields. They used mules or horses to pull it. We used a tractor.

It was believed that the implement was used in the WPA times to do
terracing for erosion prevention or in digging out culvert areas. With our
heavy clay soil, it was really only useful after some light rain.