homestead - Re: [Homestead] interesting discovery

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] interesting discovery
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:27:48 -0400

I love finding such tools,goodies, and signs of the folk long gone from
this land! How neat to find that scraper!
We live on a very old farmstead, that had been in the works 125 years
ago. Daffodils are naturalized all over a field where the old stead's
home stood. I've not even exccavated that area for any treasures yet! We
are in a very remote spot, by deep woods and the Red River Gorge. Once
upon a time, this land around the gorge was cleared and had corn and
wheat growing on it. Our home is about 25 year old, built from trees
here. Before the bigger part of the place was constructed, our friends
disassembled an old pig barn that was made of hand-hewn timbers from the
old days. They built this into a small, 2-story log cabin, chinked and
made well, to live in while they built the attached home connected by a
mudroom. I love it, and hope to tighten the cabin up for all the people
that enjoy coming out to this serene spot. I've developed alot of garden
areas since we got here, and found so many archaeological finds: a KY
Wheel hoe ( sans handles), bell clapper (Big!), tons of horshoes and
square headed nails, hinges of all kinds, a hay bale hook......and a
bunch of unknown stuff. Found a good arrowhead, too - and hope for more.
The gorge has caves way up in the sides here and there, with ancient
natives having dwelled there. This whole area is so "old". We've a
neglected cemetary up on the hill. I thought it contained maybe 15
people's remains, but one year, i took it on to clear the second-growth
pines away from a few tombstones, and found unmarked headstones for
around 45 people. Those that are marked, show the flu pandemic that hit
everyone in those hard days. It wiped out alot of families. There are
alot of old treasures to be found underground here.

Enough rambling, but time to go do some serious weed-wacking with my
Mother's Day bullhorn...bless the family!
Good day over your ways,
Toni in KY.