homestead - Re: [Homestead] Are you affected by Global warming?

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Are you affected by Global warming?
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 17:39:02 -0700

Rob wrote:

Popular opinion and the media think that man has the power to change anything, I think the Earth is mightier than any of it's creatures. <Shrug>.

Isn't it just a coincidence that the amount of carbon in the ground/air, on the one hand, and the power output of the sun, on the other just happen to interact to make a (usually) nice temperature? Suppose that the earth had suffered many more later catalysms, which retarded the development of life, or that land life only flourished on a small island.. Then it could just as well have been that the dinosaurs and ferns had not lived and fallen in swamps for 200 million years, or only on a much smaller scale, in which case their carbon would still be mostly in the atmosphere, at the same time that our sun is at its present increasing level of output. Then it would be a whole lot hotter. I don't imagine this proves anything, except that I don't know how hot it's "supposed" to be, and probably can't control it.

Bill