homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bamboo trading

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bamboo trading
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 11:56:12 -0400

tonitime AT juno.com wrote:
Oh - please, please, please count me in on the bamboo experiment ~ to see
if that variety will make it in this colder climate. Even if it gets top
burn in some years - it'd be so worth starting for us. Will send postage
prepaid toya, should it ever come together, Bev :)

Sometime next week I will hike the hill with the mattock and a box and
see if I can break off some rhizomes with shoots..no guarantees, and you
have to know that I am the world's worst mailer. The damn things could
root in the box before I got to the post office to mail them, so please,
don't anyone hold their breath!

I did stop and take a few pictures which you can see at
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/bniklasson/albums/

I put everything under the March folder.
I used my cigarettes for scale. I picked canes that were 1.5-2.5 inches
wide, but there are some huge canes up in the grove. In the "Robbie's
bamboo shot, if you look just over the roof of my house, you can see the
grove that has crested the top of the hill and is now headed down to me.
:) It's about 175 feet away, at the closest, if that helps.
Yesterday I finished the new, rehabbed and cleaned coop(that you can see
UC on the corner of the barn in the wide shot of the bamboo poles) as
well as fill the strawberry bed with hay (after I raked it out of the
pasture, of course...more pics to come) I'll top the strawberry bed
with compost and will be ready to grow.
Last year, for the first time, my mother aloe plant flowered. It was
soooo cool. This past spring, I divided it, got about 20 plants plus
babies, and now, two of my aloes are sending up spikes. If you look
closely in the pics, you can see them. I can't wait for things to green
up around here so the pics will look better..of course, it's a cheap
camera, too.

By the way, the job came through but not with the money I wanted. I
took it anyway. I start April 2. One week of freedom left.
Off to the lake to put some fish in the freezer.. :)

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.