homestead - [Homestead] Home Orchard Society, Oregon

  • From: "Karen L. Black" <karen AT plamondon.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Home Orchard Society, Oregon
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:40:50 -0700

Saturday I went up to the Portland area for the Home Orchard Society Scion
Exchange (http://www.homeorchardsociety.org/scion_exchange/). Members bring
in cuttings from their fruit trees and other plants, free for the taking.
The society also sells rootstock, and volunteers will graft trees while you
watch. It's a lot of fun. Those of you not living in Oregon might enjoy
looking through the forums (http://www.homeorchardsociety.org/forums/).

There were hundreds of apple varieties, dozens of stone fruit, and even
figs, persimmons, and kiwi. It's hard not to walk out with much more
scionwood than you have rootstock for! Now I need to get it in the ground;
hope the rain will let up for a few days.

All three of my rhubarb plants are sending up leaves. Spring is here!

Karen Black
Blodgett, OR

  • [Homestead] Home Orchard Society, Oregon, Karen L. Black, 03/12/2007