homestead - Re: [Homestead] garbage into electricity

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] garbage into electricity
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:54:22 -0700

On Feb 28, 2007, at 12:23 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/ 873aae7bf86c0110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

At the risk of further "too good to be true" criticism, I post this with
hopes of a better future through technology (although I'm not holding my
breath and am making plans to live without such)

Sounds perfect except for “That obsidian-like slag contains toxic heavy metals and breaks down when exposed to water,” claims Brad Van Guilder, a scientist at the Ecology Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan, which advocates for clean air and water. “Dump it in a landfill, and it could one day contaminate local groundwater.”

But surely it is easier and safer to handle and store than nuclear waste.