homestead - Re: [Homestead] The latest meat eaters' dilemma

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The latest meat eaters' dilemma
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 15:18:14 -0700

Yet livestock are a major emitter of greenhouse gases that cause
climate change.

Kill all the animals.

Altogether, that's more than the
emissions caused by transportation.

But just to be safe, kill all the cars and trucks.

Earth’s early atmosphere is thought to have had methane concentrations
more than 500 times as great as today.

I am reminded of what Karen said about radiation levels having to be within a certain range before humans could exist. It would seem the same is true of methane.

Termites and decaying
garbage dumps were also recognized as methane sources, again in
oxygen-free environments.

I didn't know termites could live without oxygen.

In fact, it is now estimated that 150 metric tons of methane
per year, up to 20 percent of the amount that enters the atmosphere,
comes from plants, not from anaerobic microbes in the soil.

Kill all the plants.

This new
discovery will cause people to reconsider planting shrubs, grasses, and
trees to take up the greenhouse gas, carbon dioxide, that is the focus
of those trying to mitigate global warming.

Scientists need to get onto the same page. We have been reading for years how the destruction of the Amazon rain forest is contributing to global warming. So now we are to believe that fewer plants are better?

It is little
recognized that about 25 per cent of atmospheric methane results from
anaerobic microbes that live in the oxygen-poor soils in rice paddies.

Kill all the rice. This would also help with the human population problem.

The real problem, as I see it, is not meat eaters
or cows or even the sun, it's people. There are too many people on the
planet..unsustainable...of course, we all agree there, I think.

Yep. Kill all the people. Except for us.

I personally think that Nature will take care and rectify the situation,
and I believe in a Power greater than myself.

Me, too. It is called nature. Nature bats last. Humans are only temporarily in the lineup.

That doesn't absolve me
from action, just a comfort that there are forces at work that we don't
understand and probably won't understand, and that my efforts to walk
lightly won't be in vane.

Seems to me that everyone will do what makes them feel good. Sooner or later Gaia with send humans to join the dinosaurs. Might happen slow, might happen fast.

Eat, drink, and be merry. If you have anything to say to anyone that you feel is important, say it now.