homestead - [Homestead] Winter Garden Products

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: Homestead mailing list digest <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Winter Garden Products
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 23:50:08 -0800

Sunday night I wanted to have a nice dinner so I dug salsify and leeks and corn salad to go with steak. The salsify was in cream sauce, and the leeks were braised with thyme and just a little red wine. But the mache! I had heard about snooty yuppies eating this green with raspberry vinegar and walnut oil. It turns out you don't need either of those additions, just raspberry-flavored dressing and some chopped walnuts. I can't tell you how great it is. You might say that the raspberry kills the rosy taste of the mache, and the buttery taste of the walnuts gives an effect rather like buttered toast with jam. Before we discovered this way of doing things, the mache just sat around the garden waiting to give forth its abundant seed. Now I look forward to mache salad nearly every night. It's quite an economical way to get vitamin C this time of year, by combining a garden weed with simple ingredients from storage.

Bill
S. Oregon coast