homestead - [Homestead] To single or double flush is not the issue

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] To single or double flush is not the issue
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 15:45:06 -0700

Found this at:
http://time.blogs.com/eye_on_science/

Toilet of Genius
Easily available fresh water is already in short supply in many places in the world, and global warming combined with population growth will just continue to make things worse. So anyone who comes up with a brilliant water-saving idea is doing a huge service for the planet.
It turns out that just such an idea is old news in water-scarce Australia--but complete news to me, and maybe to you. The idea is....how to put it delicately?....well, some toilet visits need a lot of flushing power, and others not so much. But all the toilets I've ever seen use a lot of water no matter what. Except for low- flush toilets, which use a tiny amount, often with, shall we say, incomplete results.
The solution, invented by a man named Bruce Thompson in 1982, is obvious in retrospect, but brilliant nonetheless: the dual-flush toilet. It has two flush strengths. If you've got a #1 kind of thing going on, you press button #1. For #2, #2.
OK, so I get excited by strange things. But seriously, this technology saves millions of gallons of water every year in Australia. In fact, all new installations require it. It's about time Americans started getting smart too. Thompson's company, Caroma, still sells these ingenious devices.

You will note that I do not reveal the name of the "senior writer" of this piece. I do so out of courtesy, so as not to reveal one who is so ignorant of the possibility of the obvious answer: the NO-FLUSH toilet, dammit!

I have written to the author to amend his knowledge.

I feel so much better now.