homestead - Re: [Homestead] Iris and basket weaving Was: Re: Swamp, was This and That

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Iris and basket weaving Was: Re: Swamp, was This and That
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 14:08:38 -0500

Lynda, is there a particular kind of iris you use for this?
I only have the big, tall, bearded types..purple and yellow varieties.

All this time, and I never knew you made baskets...learn something knew everyday about people here!

Bev

Lynda wrote:
I just learned from the elders. I don't know if there are any websites. We use both the root and the leaves.

There are a couple of ways to use iris leaves. One method, you spritz the leaves and put them between a couple of damp towels (makes them easier to work with, more pliable) and you do a basket weave. Second method is the one I use. I soak the leaves, again to make them more pliable, and then pull them apart. They come off as "strings." For the roots, generally, folks dry them somewhat and then pound them. I use a rolling pin <g> Again, you get long thread like thingies. The roots pick up dye real well and I use them for designs in the baskets.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "clhw" <clhw AT InfoAve.Net>

Lynda -- please explain how they are used.
Is there a web site for this?
Thanks!
Lynn