homestead - Re: [Homestead] Yesterday, today, and tomorrow

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Yesterday, today, and tomorrow
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 06:14:22 -0500

sanrico AT highdesert.com wrote:
Mornin', Bev - 2:53 a.m. here in the middle of the great Mojave. You continue to amaze! Sandy

Morning, Sandy..
What will be amazing is if only half the stuff I planted provides food.
It's a big tomato year, here, as I am totally out of canned tomato
products with the exception of about 4 jars of pizza sauce, two jars of
V8, maybe a dozen pints of mild salsa, and one quart of tomatillo salsa.
The other night, I had to improvise and make spaghetti with pizza sauce.
It wsn't that great, but it was edible. My tomatillo salsa was such a
hit with the family and neighbors that next year I plan to make as much
as I can. I should have tomatillos out the ying yang....
Some of those slicing types, like all those Bloody butcher tomatoes, I
am going to try to pawn off on the local feed store in the Spring. If
Roger (the owner) will allow me to sell on consignment, I'll be able to
afford all new seed for 2008, and maybe some ducks, too. I know I'm
taking a gamble, but what the heck...I think the seed packet cost me
maybe $1.50..lol..
Anyway, we'll see what comes up in a week or so. I have this huge excel
spreadsheet with all my varieties and info on it.. I cropped it down to
4 columns and deleted a few rows of stuff I didn't plant(like the
carrots) to post here. I have columns for the following: Crop, Variety,
Source, Year, Date, Moon, ~# seeds sown, # Pots/flats, Max Days 2 Germ,
Comments, Transplanted Date, In ground date, # plants to grow
I wanted to take good notes so that I will know what to do with the
seeds I have left and make better decisions about what to order next year.

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.