homestead - [Homestead] Yesterday, today, and tomorrow

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Yesterday, today, and tomorrow
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 05:43:49 -0500

It's 19 degrees here this morning at EarthNSky with a 15 mph wind and
45% humidity. I don't know the windchill right offhand, but it is
freaking COLD. We are under a winter storm watch with a 90% chance of
precip tonight and through tomorrow night, and even though they say "no
accumulation" I don't trust it...lol..I'll bet we get a little ice storm
out of this..just got that feeling.
Yesterday, I completed Round 1 of planting for this year's garden.
I have seed flats and pots all over the bedroom floor in Kate's old
room. I also planted a few things outside: peas, radishes, turnips,
spinach, chard, and onions. I already had garlic in the ground. Here's
what I am growing in flats in the house (for now):
Crop Variety ~# seeds sown # Pots/flats

Broccoli Early Dividend 200 20
Broccoli Packman 100 20
Cabbage Danish Ballhead 100 10
Celery Tendercrisp 2500 (1g) 10
Chinese Cabbage Michihili 680 (2g) 10
Chives pack(200) 3
Cucumber Tendergreen Burpless 20 10
Dill Long Island Mammoth 1/4pack (250) 3
Honeydew Green Flesh 12 6
Hops Humulus lupulus pack NA
Pak Choi Joi Choi Hybrid 100 10
Pea Experimental Variety' pack (1oz) NA
Pea Snow Green pack (1oz) NA
Peppers Anaheim 150 24
Peppers Red Peter 12 5
Peppers Jalepeno 50 10
Pumpkin Atlantic Giant 10 5
Radish White Icicle 1 pack NA
Spinach Space Hybrid 1 & 1/2 packs NA
Squash Yellow straightneck 15 5
Squash Butternut 30 10
Squash Yellow crookneck 30 5
Squash Yellow crookneck 10 5
St. Johnswort Hypericum perforatum pack 2
Swiss Chard Fordhook Giant 4 packs NA
Tomato Bloody Butcher 30 6
Tomato Black Plum 50 6
Tomato Tomatillo Green Husk 30 10
Tomato Tomatillo Toma Verde 75 25
Tomato Sausage 30 6
Tomato German Red Strawberry 100 6
Tomato Amish Paste 100 12
Turnip Purple Top 1 oz NA
Valerian Valeriana officinalis pack 3
Watermelon GA Rattlesnake 6 3
Wormwood Common Wormwood pack(100) 1
Zucchini Calabacita 10 5

There were a few things I didn't plant..
I was going to plant some carrots and a different variety of radishes,
but decided to wait as the ground was practically frozen in that bed.
It had not been covered so it was colder. I have a few other varieties
of spinach, too, but will wait until I see if these germinate before I
plant the Bloomsdale in a few weeks. Hopefully, by starting all of this
early, I will be able to transplant a lot of it early and get a jump on
the squash bugs and take advantage of mason bee pollination in the Spring.
Of the stuff I planted outside, I'm not worried about losing it.
Mostly, it's a grand experiment with old seeds. If it doesn't work,
I'll replant in 2-3 weeks with newer seeds.
Some of the things I am growing are not for me. I'm growing the cukes
for my stepfather, who asked me to start them for him. Other things,
like the Black Plum tomatoes and the Atlantic Giant pumpkins and all of
the yellow squash are seeds that are almost 10 years old, so I need to
try to grow some new stuff. I'm really bad about putting seeds back and
then forgetting about them, so a lot of this early stuff is old seed
that probably won't germinate, but shoot, I gotta try, right?
Tomorrow, barring an ice storm, I will split wood and shovel some more
stuff out of the old chicken coop. I am beginning to think that I will
never finish these jobs. I guess I just need to hunker down and get it
done, instead of doing a little bit every couple of days. My garden beds
could use that chicken poop in the old litter to kick start the warming.
It's aged enough to plant in, I think, but it could compost some more.

We've had quite a bit of 'family disturbance' here in the past few
weeks, so all this planting and stuff is really a good distraction from
that. I'll spare you the details. ;)
Today, I am supposed to go down to the Atlanta area to help my friend
pick out plants for landscaping her new house. I'm up early so that my
joints will be working properly and I can be dressed by the time she
wants to leave here in a few hours. It sucks to have arthritis in this
kind of weather, but at least I am moving..slowly, but moving. I'm
gonna be pissed if she cancels the trip after I got up so early...lol..
Oh well, time to stoke the fire and make a fresh pot of coffee..
'Mornin' everyone!

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.