homestead - [Homestead] Homestead grown young adults?

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Homestead grown young adults?
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 18:27:41 -0800

I was out raking Pine straw for the Blueberry rows and began thinking
about our kids, and the kids of the initial back to the land times. Are
there any young adults that grew up in their folks country dreams on this
list? It would be interesting to hear of some perspective on their
parent's choices a few decades back.
How are the kids you have seen grow up in these experiences faring?
Have many chosen to continue or move back to their folk's lifework in the
country after higher education? Do some think of it as a retirement
locale when we parents grow old?
Lately, i have been pondering the interesting kids that grew up and away
from our neck of the woods.. Few will gravitate back to their parent's
homesteads here. Mine say they hope for living here or living near enough
to have a mountain getaway at this old homeplace. We shall see!

It is our hope, that the place can be held in some kind of trust for any
of them to live in or use at any time, in time of peace, peril, or
poverty. We hope their wish for at least that will last for awhile or
longer. We have made a sense of sanctuary about this remote and pretty
place, and hope that can be communicated onward for a long time. Just
keep paying the taxes of the place ( very low here) and keep it for the
family no matter what ( pressure from new husband's, feeling too poor,
etc!!). One thing about being human - we are just a blip in time! Do
you have people you wish your place will fall to and be cared for?

Toni - spending too much time walking in these woods and pondering it all
lately in the freaky, warm weather!