homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead grown young adults?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead grown young adults?
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 07:58:42 -0700

It is our hope, that the place can be held in some kind of trust for any
of them to live in or use at any time, in time of peace, peril, or
poverty.

Chris and I have a similar plan and dream. Heartwood, on paper, it doesn't need to be recorded, is in a family trust. The devil is in the details. Just providing for tax payment is not enough. Without someone in residence our remote place would eventually be vandalized and of course revert to wilderness. My thought is to make the place attractive enough to the grandkids that whatever their career paths, Heartwood will be a place for respite and rejuvenation. Without a country grounding, few moderns will want to be isolated from city conveniences. They may be seduced by the fact that country property will become ever more limited and thus more expensive, so might be persuaded to keep it as a family heritage home.

My brother and sister and I were moved to the Wisconsin farm to fulfill my father's dream of having his own farm. Of the three of us, I alone have purchased rural land. It may come to pass that my brother will join us some day. He currently lives on five semi-rural wooded acres owned by his lady friend. My sister is a confirmed suburbanite.