homestead - [Homestead] What is it and what can I do with it

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] What is it and what can I do with it
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:25:33 -0500

Imagine, if you will, and old fashioned playpen, about 3x3 in size, 4
walls, maybe 3 feet tall, and a bottom, but no top. It's on feet, so
the bottom is about 4 inches off the ground. Now, imagine that in heavy
gauge, pencil thick sized wire and you have what I have. :)
I found this 'cage' here on the property some years ago, and thought,
wow, cool, I'll use that for *something*, but in all this time, I have
never come across a good use for it. The wire bottom and sides have
holes that about 2" square, and the whole thing is HEAVY. The whole
cage has hinged sides, so it actually folds up flat(well, even 'flat'
its almost 8" thick-wouldn't fit in a breadbox or under a bed<g>. Of
course, I could rough compost stuff in it, but it would be a small bin
and hard to aerate. Someone told me once that is was built to transport
pigs, but I don't see how as their little hooves would go right through
the cage bottom, plus you would have to lift the pig in and out as there
is no door, per se. I have used it as a temporary kid pen with a piece
of wood and some hay in the bottom, but only for a brief period because
it required too much in the way of cleaning and it didn't take long for
the babies to climb out. I thought about using it for wood storage, but
it wouldn't even hold a weeks worth of wood.
Can anyone tell me what this thing might have been used for or have any
ideas of what I could use it for?

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.