homestead - Re: [Homestead] Marketing farm products afar?

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Marketing farm products afar?
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:26:15 -0500

Hi Toni,
How about fresh organic herbs ordered via a website? ... when in season, of course.

Wendy

Greetings of the Season, Listmates!
I am wondering if any of you are in similar situations of
small-time farming from areas remote to higher economy towns, where
tastes are not very diverse? I am wondering about internet business for
such as seed allium crops, open-pollinated or heirloom seed, or any other
product toward a little more prosperity for our family. Do any of you
have these sort of businesses or experience with such?
We moved to the Kentucky mountains, Central Appalachia, six years
ago, from Northern California. I'd not change where we live for all the
tea in China - the constant seasonal beauty, serenity, and remoteness of
our location are wonderful! BUT, this is one of the poorest counties in
the US, with little to no ag diversity and where folk are not inclined to
farmer's markets or a wide variety of foods such as we grow and live on.
The city markets are all two or more hours away, and there are very few
restaurants at all, let alone any that are not doing "can-opener cooking"
(as my ex-chef husband calls it!).
I grow over an acre of vegies, and maintain perennial and annual
flower, and culinary herb gardens. We live rich in edibles of many
kinds, but find no place close to be vendors. Most of the locals grow
gardens and live either in the old fashioned ways or are completely
welfare dependant. What suggestions might you have for us to make a bit
more income from our farm? We do not have livestock, barn, or fencing
for such.....or background in that! I barter for either game from the
woods all around or for farm-raised meats from friends with livestock,
rather than add that into our repetoire out here. It is a very good
life, but not enough income to tend to our frugal needs - hence, i wonder
about selling online (garlics, onions stock, seed saved in great variety
each year). Anyone do this?
All input and ideas would be so appreciated! I've just received my first
hoop-house. that we'll build into a high tunnel for season extension (
cannot afford to make it into a greenhouse just yet). It is 14'X48', and
i am SO excited about this!
Perhaps this climate will also allow me to grow plants for sale - a new
plan in my mind.
Thanks, Folks!
Toni
Red River Gorge, KY.