homestead - Re: [Homestead] Phosphate Conservation

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Phosphate Conservation
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:38:14 EST

Phosphate depletion is a function of mechanized farming. In the end the
advice you proffer:

>-If you own land, build your in-soil P reserves now while it is cheap
and clean

is the only real solution. But not for the reason that our (generally)
mechanized mindset might suggest to us. The image is of putting enough,
prefereably slow release, sources of phoshpate on our land that we will be in
good stead
for years to come even when commercial sources are sarce and inexpensive.

But the tack to take on this, says I, is to keep in mind that just like there
is a nitrogen cycle, there is also a phosphorous cycle. In the nitrogen
cycle organic nitrogen is consumed by bacteria which give of nitrites as
waste,
other bacteria consume the nitrites and give off nitrates as waste. Plants
can
only use the nitrates directly. Chemical fertilizers short circuit the
process providing nitrates in the form of salts directly to the plants. The
overabundance of nitrates is toxic to the bacteria for whom it is a waste
product so
they die. Then since they aren't there to take up the nitrite waste, those
bacteria die as well. The soil becomes sterile and the only way plants can
grow is the continued application of inorganic nitrates.

When we put manure and compost on the garden, we are feeding the bacteria who
"eat" organic nitrogen bearing compounds (protein, amino acids) who in turn
promote the growth of nitrate fixing bacteria.

The phosphorous cycle is similar. There is series of bacteria that ingest
organic phosphorous compounds and give off other phosphorous compounds as
waste,
which other bacteria "eat" and give off others until it is converted into
phosphate which the plants absorb.

So the idea is not to stockpile a reserve of phosphate compounds in the soil
that will be slowly but certainly depleated over time, but rather promote the
abundance of bacteria involved in the phosphorous cycle,