homestead - Re: [Homestead] Insurance

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Insurance
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:27:50 -0500

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

You've got to be kidding...I can't believe you think this way. A 40 year old just suffered longer.

YOU've got to be kidding. If I recall from Marie's example, the woman is now 60 and still with us. In what way is that "suffering".

My bad. I was thinking that the woman had died at 40.

Do you recall James Fixx. He is often pointed to by the astrolo-geneticists as showing what an important role genes play in determining health. Fixx was a health and running advocate, in very
top physical shape, and yet suddenly died of coronary causes at the
age of 52. No matter what you do, those stars ..er I mean, genes,.... will get you.

Yes, I do remember Fixx. In fact, I had one of his books at one time.
Just because he died of a heart attack? doesn't mean the cause was
genetic any more than his lifechoices were responsible for keeping him
alive to the age of 52, regardless of what doctors or
"astrologeneticists" say. People will pick and choose to believe
whatever matches their own ideas. If they believe running is bad, then
it was all that running that caused his death. If they believe as you
do, then he prolonged his life.
I couldn't remember the actual cause of death, so I did a quick search
The short answer is coronary artery disease, 3 separate arteries blocked
to varying degrees by cholesterol. Yeah, this kind of thing ran (pun
intended) in his family, but Mr. Fixx was 35 before he began making good
lifestyle choices. He smoked and was overweight. Unfortunately for our
discussion, there is no way to know whether he would have died at 43
like his father without his lifestyle change, or whether the exercise
prolonged his life, or whether he cheated and ate all kinds of bad stuff
for energy to keep running, or whether it was genetic, or whatever.
There is no way to know, and all sides of the issue can make a case for
whatever they choose.
Only one thing is for sure...his running made him rich, and it did not
prolong his life expectancy beyond what is considered normal in the
population at large. Beyond that, you can infer just about anything.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky