homestead - [Homestead] Prisons

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Prisons
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 21:25:03 -0800

Prison is a growth industry, no doubt about it.

Rob
becida AT comcast.net

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061209/ts_nm/usa_prisoners_dc

>>more people are behind bars in the United States than in any other country. China ranks second with 1.5 million prisoners, followed by Russia with 870,000.

"The United States has 5 percent of the world's population and 25 percent of the world's incarcerated population.

"We now imprison more people for drug law violations than all of western Europe, with a much larger population, incarcerates for all offenses."<<