homestead - Re: [Homestead] Prisons

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Prisons
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:18:50 -0800

I don't want to sound terribly morbid or unfeeling or un-PC, hmmm, retract the last one <g> but seems to me that China kills off about as many as they put in prison and so does Russia and those they don't die of various and sundry things in prison. So, part of the reason that we have more in prison is because we don't kill off as many folks right off the top AND we take better care of the folks in prison. Sheesh, they get universal health care and 3 squares which is more than one can say for a large % of the general population.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob" <becida AT comcast.net>

Prison is a growth industry, no doubt about it.

Rob
becida AT comcast.net

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061209/ts_nm/usa_prisoners_dc

>>more people are behind bars in the United States than in any other
country. China ranks second with 1.5 million prisoners, followed by
Russia with 870,000.

"The United States has 5 percent of the world's population and 25
percent of the world's incarcerated population.

"We now imprison more people for drug law violations than all of
western Europe, with a much larger population, incarcerates for all offenses."<<

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.