homestead - Re: [Homestead] Insurance

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Insurance
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 18:16:59 EST

> Uh-huh. This being a world where accidents and disease happen despite
> our best efforts

I agree with Gene on this one. It's a matter of the odds. Now those who
believe the modern version of our health being written in our stars (genes,
ancestory) would not see the stark difference so clearly. But less stress,
good
food, good environment, and a peaceable life IMO decreases your odds of
contracting a devastating disease more than the insurance increases your odds
of
curing it. Same with accidents. If you don't have to be commuting miles and
miles
a week to pay insurance premiums, you odds of having a debilitating accident
are much less. By the bye, that's also part of why I have a preference for
hand tools. Never known anyone yet to be seriously injured by a hoe or a bow
saw.

My father is 80. When the doctor complimented him on his good health, he
said it was "because I don't take any of your damned medicine."