homestead - Re: [Homestead] [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: Schools

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: Schools
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:03:50 -0500

On 11/29/06, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

Generally, however, I do believe that you can go farther if you have
some initials after your name. What it implies is not so much that you
have an education, but to me, and to employers as well, it implies that
you had the fortitude and drive to stick it out for 4 years because at
some point in your life, you wanted "more". That's not necessarily a
good thing, IMO, but it is the way people think.

*Hi Bev

I realize this doesn't exactly have to do with unschooling, but I'm
beginning to think that the sheer number of people with initials now
requires that our children have a few of their own. Industry standards are
being rewritten all the time, and jobs that a few years ago could be had
with a certificate now require a masters degree. I'm thinking of medical
records specifically, but it's certainly not the only field where those
changes are being made. Whenever a savvy education provider finds a niche,
students pony up the cash for the new credentials. When enough folks have
initials, accreditation agencies rewrite standards to require the
initial-holders as essential to "best practice."

The system keeps us all tied into it.
Unless we break out.

Cathy