homestead - Re: [Homestead] Trespassers, dealing with

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Trespassers, dealing with
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 07:43:06 -0800 (PST)

Used to do a lot of walking as a youth, alone or
with others. We never paid any attention to
boundaries and I can't remember any neighbors who
would not have welcomed us. Of course we respected
livestock, fences etc. that was part of our culture.
Now I am happy to welcome any who wish to hike on my
land. They can even hunt with permission, though that
will change if someone wishes to lease exclusive
hunting rights.
In short I like to share what I have with others
when it doesn't cause a problem.
I also know how much has changed in the last 40
years and I am pragmatic enough to know that I might
have to start restricting access because of problems.
Van Dell
Oh yes, I am planning to have a boundary survey in
case of difference of opinion with adjacent property
owners. A variation of Frost's quote "good fences
make good neighbors".