homestead - Re: [Homestead] Update on homesteady things

  • From: sjc <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Update on homesteady things
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:27:11 -0500

At 02:41 PM 11/19/2006, you wrote:
Okay, will the non-folders please speak up?

Marie

Just skip the basket, Marie: no reason not to get dressed right out of the dryer.....

I don't use a dryer here, but just this past summer I 'caught' my 37-year old visiting son taking clothes off the line and putting them on, having hosed off down by the well. Fortunately the clothesline can't be seen from the road.

Living by myself, I fold as I take off the line into a basket which lives on a shelf in the bathroom, which is where I normally dress. Just slide full basket in, it's there.

Back when I had a huge houseful of kids and a dryer, all were accustomed to undressing/dressing in the bathroom. There was a door (selfclosing for fire safety' we used an old pet door) about 3 feet up on the wall between bathroom and laundry. Dirty clothes went thru and dropped right into dirty clothes bin. They were removed and washed, dried, folded, and put right back into shelves built into same wall between bath and laundry (washer and drier located between bin and shelves). Doors on both sides of wall let us take clean clothes out on the bath side. Each person had a shelf; bus box 'bins' labeled on both ends kept each shelf tidied up and made it easy to see who was out of what and everything was pretty easy to keep track of: all unworn clothes in the house were easily available. Nothing had to travel more than 6 feet to be taken off, laundered, folded, or put on. Linens, rags, and bandages shared the clothes 'closet' (not sure why we called it a closet?). Handy enough.

If I ever build another house (that one burned) I'd make it the same way.

Susan Jane, in Maine, but leaving soon.......