homestead - Re: [Homestead] OT for Don, or anyone, really

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] OT for Don, or anyone, really
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 01:27:28 -0400

To all..
This is really not related to homesteading as we usually discuss it at
all...more genealogy related, so go ahead and delete if you aren't
interested in this conversation. For me, knowing that I come from a
fishing Sami tribe, this makes me feel more connected to nature and it
is that connection that motivates me to feel closer to the land, so for
me this is homestead related, but obviously this won't be the case for
everyone. My apologies.

Bill Jones wrote:

You can have both types of DNA tested, unless you have no surviving paternal male relatives of your father (or dad himself, better yet). It makes a great gift idea. Men of Finnish origin with typical IE yDNA are more likely, IMO, to have inherited it during the (more recent) periods of Viking domination in Finland, or from fairly modern Russians.

I wish I had thought to have a sample of my Dad's hair or blood
collected and tested. It's too late now, as he and his sister are both
deceased.

What fascinates me is to go back even further, as genetics allows us to do. It seems that there really was an Ice People, trapped in Central Asia 30,000 years ago when the last Ice Age began. All Northern Europeans, Turks, Siberians, and the non-Athabaskan peoples of North America are descended from them. The entire population of Northern Europe is descended from a single man from this lineage who was born in the north of Russia/Lappland, west of the Urals. I guess
once these people became cold-adapted, crossing the Urals and living
in solid ice was no trouble.

Lapp is what I grew up calling these people, but since I am of that
ethnicity, and I know this now, I also know that Lapp is considered
derogatory and the politically correct term is Sami.
I have traced my paternal bloodline as far back as I can, circa the late
1600's. My grandfather was Sami. Both of his parents were Sami. While
my grandfather was born north of the Arctic Circle in the Rovaniemi area,
he came to this country during the time when Finland was under czarist
Russian rule. My great grandparents were from even further north and
east, from what is in Russia today. There is no doubt in my mind that
my paternal ancestry comes from these ice people as you call them. My
father told me of stories of his grandfather, who would have been born
in the mid 1800's and how both his father and mother had been nomadic
Russian Saami. My paternal grandmother was from southern
Finland-Halikko, and I don't know anything about her ancestry.
My grandfather had darker hair and darker skin, so my blonde hair and
light skin must have come from my paternal grandmother, or the Scottish
and French/German genes on my mothers side...It's really fascinating to
me as I have Mongoloid shaped eyes, very almond shaped and squinty, and
the shape of my head/face is more rounded, both of which would seem to
indicate the Finnish/Sami roots over Indo-European roots....I don't know.
I have always wanted to get DNA tested. I am pretty positive that I am
from Haplogroup N LLY22 (Y chromosome), but it would be cool to know
for sure.
BTW, this conversation makes me really miss Tvo....he and I had many
similar conversations about migration of peoples.

In a way, Finland is perhaps one of the least mysterious places to have ancestors from, since we know for a fact that the Northern Europeans all came from the east via Lappland or Russia. Originally all Finns lived as Lapps do, of course, since the traditional agricultural lifestyle of Finland only became possible with the end of the Ice Age. The Finns have probably also lived in that land for longer than any people on earth outside Africa or the Middle East, maybe 20,000 years, but since these other areas have seen so many different peoples come and go, their original inhabitants are unknown
by name.

This is my understanding, too. I suppose that is one of the reasons I
was surprised to see the Blond haired Scythian warrior found in
Mongolia. That is quite a ways from where the Scythians of that time
period were known to be, which implies some racial mixing during that
era from 300-200 BC.

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm GO NAVY!
Proud SUBMARINE Parents of a USS Key West Sailor