homestead - Re: [Homestead] OT for Don, or anyone, really

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] OT for Don, or anyone, really
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 13:30:48 -0400

Yeah, I read all the Wikipedia stuff.....that's what intrigued me.
Apparently, these Scythians got around, mixed things up....some were
agricultural, some were nomadic....some were mercs,(like maybe those who
lived with the Huns) and I just read that perhaps the Greek 'legend' of
the Amazon women warriors has it's roots in Scythia, where women often
fought alongside men-after all, the Scythians were excellent
archers...the mummy that was found in Mongolia is interesting, too.
Here's a link to that one if anyone else is as interested in this as I am...
http://physorg.com/news75656360.html
My brother in law, a monk in the Georgian orthodox church, is always
telling me about the ancient peoples of the Caucasus and to me it is
just fascinating. In school, they mention some groups of people, but
for some unknown reason, large groups of ancient civilizations are
excluded...I don't even remember learning about the Thracians or the
Scythians....but I do recall the Huns, the Aryans, the Mongols, etc.

Bev

Bill Jones wrote:

SISU! wrote:

Hi Don, being a student of history, you came to mind first, but
this question goes out to anyone, really. James, you might could
help on this, too. I know James and I have had several
conversations about ancient history offlist. I am interested in
reading more about the history of the Scythians, how they were
related to various peoples over time, etc. I saw a news article
today about a blonde scythian warrior mummy that was found and that
led me to a Wikipedia article, and now I am fascinated by these peoples who could actually be part of my own ancestry. Can you recommend a book that recounts Scythian history, one that would
give a general overview of their culture, migrations, habits and
languages? I don't want to get too bogged down in the
archeological aspect, just something more in depth than the brief
article on Wiki. It is my personal belief that the more we know
about how ancient peoples lived, the better we can come to
preparing for the future, and many times, it relates to the olde
know thy own history approach to survival.

Bev

Spencer Wells wrote something about this. Apparently they were the original Indo-Europeans, previously known only from their languages,
spread via horse from Wales to Assam. Mostly it was their culture
that spread, since most speakers of these languages don't possess
Scythian y-chromosomal genes today. But in Northern India the same
gene is found. Here's a fun link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Scythians

Bill