homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tap roots

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tap roots
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 21:27:23 -0400

On 8/17/06, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

The only thing more fun than watching the tree finally go down was
watching Don leap like a gazelle to get out of the way.

You guys are making me nervous. I just looked at Don's pictures, that was
just a bit close. Dig the headband, Gene, you could almost pass for a biker
dude. I mean that in the nicest possible way. ;) Fifteen years ago, my
Grandpa (then 83 and strong as an ox), and my Dad (then 53 and the son of an
ox) were taking out a tree on my Grandpa's Indiana farm. As the tree fell,
two limbs sheered off and went in different directions. My Dad was hit by a
glancing blow from one of the limbs. He could barely move, he had seven
broken ribs and a punctured lung. My Grandpa got my dad in the backhoe and
gave him a ride, bouncing all the way, back up to the house. My Dad spent a
week in the hospital--they wouldn't release him until his lung was much
better and he could blow a certain amount of air through a special measuring
and pressure gizmo. I took the train down from Chicago to IN with my
three-month old son to visit him. [Imagine that I used to live in the heart
of Chicago--and now live in rural sw VA!] My Grandpa passed on last summer,
but he loved to tell this story in Dad's presence--with my Dad grimacing.

Lisa