homestead - Re: [Homestead] Adding flax to the diet

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Adding flax to the diet
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:21:10 -0400

I just had another thought..
You could probably make your own flax seed oil..
I make a nut oil using pecans...toast the nuts, grind them, and add
canola oil oil....shake and allow it to sit in a sunny window for two
days, then strain out the nuts. I use this oil as a salad dressing
sometimes (in a vinagrette). (I do the same thing with sesame seeds,
btw) You could probably just substitute flax for the nuts, make a flax
oil, and use that in various recipes-even for stir frying!

Bev

SISU! wrote:

For those who are trying to increase their omega-3 fatty acid intake,
I read an article in Body+Soul magazine last night that talks about adding crushed flax seed to pesto sauces....I thought it was a good idea to pass on.. Extrapolating from that idea, you could probably add flax seed to any dish that uses any kind of nut...think crushed flax trout amandine or flax cinnamon rolls, or homemade butter pecan ice cream with crushed flax seed, or saute'ed green beans with flax and garlic...anything!

Bev

--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W