homestead - Re: [Homestead] Informal Survey of Housing Bubble

  • From: WILLIAM <billymegab AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Informal Survey of Housing Bubble
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 06:54:20 -0700 (PDT)

Lisa certainly has it right as far as mortgage strategies are concerned. The
longer the amortization period the more interest you are paying (over the
life of the mortgage) Most mortgages allow you to make additional payments
annually and to the extent possible you should do this. Paying bi weekly
is another simple strategy that can also reduce the total amount of interest
paid Becoming debt free as fast as possible should be job 1.

On 7/23/06, Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

> I took a 30-year fixed rate mortgage with a
> monthly payment that I can (almost) afford.
>
> I''ve already decided that I can't retire until the mortgage is paid off.

Lynn,

As your monthly debt decreases over the years, and hopefully it will, put
some extra towards the principal. I know you're very frugal; but if you
have a car or truck payment or any other loan, or any credit card debt at
all, as it's paid off, put extra towards the mortgage principal. By doing
this, even $25 per month turns into an extra $300 annually on the principal
and it will reduce the life of the loan.

One extra payment per year will typically reduce the mortgage by 7 or 8
years.

In the early years of a loan, most of what you're paying is interest. Take
a look at the actual principal amount that is paid (warning: this may make
your stomach turn to do so). Another way to drastically shorten the life of
your loan is to pay an extra principal payment (not the interest) every
month with your regular payment, this will cut the loan almost by half the
time depending on when you start. If you can't afford this every month,
then do it now and then as you can.

Hope that helps you to quit working before 80. Smile.

Lisa
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/billymegab%40yahoo.com

>From erthnsky AT bellsouth.net Mon Jul 24 10:00:57 2006
by imf24aec.mail.bellsouth.net with ESMTP id

<20060724140055.DGZU22207.imf24aec.mail.bellsouth.net AT ibm68aec.bellsouth.net>
for <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>; Mon, 24 Jul 2006 10:00:55 -0400