homestead - Re: [Homestead] Real estate financing, July, 2006

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Real estate financing, July, 2006
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 10:39:08 EDT

> putting
> himself and his family on the line to be much more than a wage slave.
> He sees his business improving strongly and his income with it. I say
> good for him.

I say, he pays his money, he takes his chances. What I mean by that is -
there's more then one way to escape being a wage slave than by gambling
especially with something as ephemeral (do I recall from the article
correctly) a
consulting business. A consulting business, the need for a consultant of
some
particular type, can evaporate overnight. The debt won't. I'd run out of
fingers and toes if I counted the number of people I know personally who
hocked
all their worldly goods to rent the office, buy the laptop, buy the
cellphone,
etc. because of a hugely neat idea that was going to earn hundreds of
thousands, only to find that a few months down the road the same service was
available
in a blister pack at the WalMart checkout for $9.95.

Whatever happened to the older paradigm of building a business from the
ground up slowly and with the captial the business itself earned? If the
fellow's
business is indeed improving that much, then why can't it finance expansion?
Oh, not as fast perhaps, but much more surely.

I'm not saying I don't join you in saying "Good for him" and Godspeed. But
personally I don't have the nerve. Than wan and lean character with the dice
cup looks as if he's up to something ... I don't like them odds!