homestead - Re: [Homestead] How many hens?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How many hens?
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 08:31:56 -0500

It takes about a dozen heavy-breed hens to keep warm enough in the
winter here;

Common belief denied by the many chicken books I have. The Taj Mahen is insulated, possibly the only insulated henhouse in Ozark County. Then I learned it is unnecessary. It is important to provide a place that is out of drafts, though there must be adequate ventilation to remove moisture and ammonia. Plenty of bedding, a roost above any moisture area, no drafts, egg boxes. All covered by a good roof and safe from coons. That's about the extent of hen requirements.

In addition to too large a flock, almost everyone makes their henhouse too big. The Taj Mahen is six by six. Eggs collected via a hinged siding board from the outside.

I'd calculated I could get along quite nicely on 6..

That is the number I will have next year. With artificial light manipulation they will keep two of us amply supplied most of the year. Plan to bring in two pullets every year, kill two old hens.