homestead - Re: [Homestead] How many hens?

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How many hens?
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 12:24:37 -0700

At 7/9/2006 06:31 AM,Gene GeRue wrote:

>It takes about a dozen heavy-breed hens to keep warm enough in the
>winter here;

Common belief denied by the many chicken books I have. The Taj Mahen
is insulated, possibly the only insulated henhouse in Ozark County.
Then I learned it is unnecessary. It is important to provide a place
that is out of drafts, though there must be adequate ventilation to
remove moisture and ammonia. Plenty of bedding, a roost above any
moisture area, no drafts, egg boxes. All covered by a good roof and
safe from coons. That's about the extent of hen requirements.

In northern Minnesota our chicken house was not insulated, good ventilation and draft free are really important. I ran deep bedding too. Another thing to keep in mind is chickens will eat anything so you want a ceiling high enough so you won't hit your head (or don't go in).
I ran power to mine to keep the water from freezing in the winter. A 250' roll of UF (outside/direct bury) 12-2 with ground was enough.
I never had a chicken freeze but always kept a good number of chickens, it was really more than we needed but they were fun to watch run around. Eggs freezing in the winter was a problem, I had the idea (but never got a round2it) of running some heat tape along the back wall of the nest box and putting another wall behind that.

Rob
becida AT comcast.net