homestead - Re: [Homestead] What's Eating America: Corn's Success

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What's Eating America: Corn's Success
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 16:44:22 -0500

Population control is the key factor here, because for organic methods
to be truly sustainable, one needs animal manure and animals need water
and space, too. It's all very cyclic.

We humans are a problem and capable of a solution to the challenge of the sustainability of Earth's systems. Humans adjust quickly to food supply. Once we have more than we need we produce lots more of us. Lots more of us require ever more more food. The article correctly notes that without artificial nitrogen there could be far fewer humans. But like villages that strive to become towns that strive to become cities that strive to become ever bigger, it seems more is a basic, or base, human instinct.