homestead - Re: [Homestead] Water filter update

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Water filter update
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:08:35 -0400

That all sounds great, Gene. The 0.02 micron filter will remove all
oocysts and you won't have to worry at all about parasites like giardia
and crypto, and it will almost certainly take care of the coliform
bacteria unless the bacteria has colonized in the plumbing or filter
itself, which is unlikely in this case. I'm also glad you will have
your water retested-it's about peace of mind and your health. One less
thing to worry about.
Years ago, I had my soil tested for pesticides and herbicides. It cost
me a small fortune. I had the garden done one year, and the pasture
analyzed the next. I know I haven't put anything on it, so I feel good
KNOWING that my 22 acres is free of residue and that since we are on a
well, and live in the middle of the National Forest, chances of
pesticide and/or herbicide contamination of my well is almost nil. We
had a water analysis done when we moved in, and we were free of bacteria
at that time. Our county EPA office only tests for bacteria, so that
left a lot of questions for me. In the years since, I set up the
aquarium, and performed quite a few aquarium type tests on my house
water to get more information. I know I have very, very hard water
here, from the karst limestone aquifer, but no pesticides, no
nitrites/nitrates, and no bacteria. I like the taste and idea of
mineralized water, so I am happy with our water and results. It works
for me. It does have drawbacks, however. Due to the heavy mineral
content, we have lime buildup and soap scum becomes a problem. Things
like drip style coffee makers don't last long here, vinegar treatment or
no vinegar treatment. We perk our coffee the old fashioned way. I'm
pretty sure that we will need a new water heater and washer in the
coming years, but that's okay because my washer is 22 years old and I
would like a smaller unit anyway and I am thinking to replace appliances
with more efficient models-things like on demand water heaters or even
possibly a solar water heater. It's all good.

Bev

Gene GeRue wrote:

The Crystal Quest people are coming through like we wish all companies we deal with would.

You will recall that I bought their under-sink seven-state filter and
that a test showed that "Total Coliform" is "Present" and the water
is "Unsatisfactory for drinking water purposes."

Crystal Quest has developed a new 0.02 micron filter. It is new and not yet on their Web site. They believe this new filter will do the job. They are sending it to me to try. The engineer/scientist guy I spoke to says he would like me to use it and to let him know the results after I have it tested again. If it is satisfactory, then he
will charge me a modest fee.

I questioned whether such a tight mesh would allow good water flow. He assured me it does.

After this new filter is in place, in addition to sending a sample to
the state I seek an independent lab that will give a more complete analysis than simply good or not good to drink.