homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fiberglass fishing rod repair

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fiberglass fishing rod repair
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 08:05:04 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Yes, that is what I originally thought about doing.
> I wrote this repair
> guy on line to find out what kind of string or wire
> would need and he
> advised against doing that as he said it wouldn't
> hold up. The guy was
> really rude with his advice, so I am not sure I
> trust him. I surely
> didn't like his assessment that my 'valuable to me'
> rod wasn't worth any
> energy to repair and that I should chunk it.
> Personally, I think he was
> just ticked that I asked for advice and he resented
> giving me free
> how-tos...
> So yeah, I'm game for a manual repair, I just need a
> bit more
> information. Is there any way you could contact
> this fireman and ask
> what kind of thread he used? Also, when you watched
> him do this, was
> the rod in any type of holder or chuck? How did he
> hold the guides in
> the correct position-some kind of glue perhaps?

I wonder if the guy that you asked might decide the
rod was more valuable if you sent it to him and
offered to pay whatever it took to get it repaired.

I wouldn't know how to contact the fireman as I don't
remember his name and that was decades ago. I'm sure
he was holding it in one hand the other end resting in
his lap or on a table. The cord he was winding was
something decorative.
I don't remember any glue holding the winding cord
down. My speculation if you tried to glue as you
wound it would be harder to go back and redo something
that didn't work. I don't remember how he ended the
wind, whether he tucked it in some way or then glued
the end.
One possibility would be to hold the guide down
Elmer's Glue, which would wash away once the cord was
fixed in place.
Oh to be able to travel through time.
Van Dell