homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fiberglass fishing rod repair

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fiberglass fishing rod repair
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 23:39:34 -0400

VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but I knew a fireman in Phx
who during his down time made custom fishing rods. I have watched
him winding thread around the rod to hold the string guides on. A
very slow tedious process but didn't require special equipment. If
this is not related to what you are asking I will just go to my
corner and be quiet for a while. Van Dell

LOL...no, don't go off to the corner! LOL!
Yes, that is what I originally thought about doing. I wrote this repair
guy online to find out what kind of string or wire I would need and he
advised against doing that as he said it wouldn't hold up. The guy was
really rude with his advice, so I am not sure I trust him. I surely
didn't like his assessment that my 'valuable to me' rod wasn't worth any
energy to repair and that I should chunk it. Personally, I think he was
just ticked that I asked for advice and he resented giving me free
how-tos...
So yeah, I'm game for a manual repair, I just need a bit more
information. Is there any way you could contact this fireman and ask
what kind of thread he used? Also, when you watched him do this, was
the rod in any type of holder or chuck? How did he hold the guides in
the correct position-some kind of glue perhaps?

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W