homestead - Re: [Homestead] tolkien

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] tolkien
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 11:17:37 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:

I didnt have find anything even closely

connected to Catholicism in his books.Religious?

Well, I will not upset your vision. Okay, just a tiny tweak: Tolkien
and his close friends all agreed that his Catholicism was so deeply
ingrained in him that his writing was imbued with it.

I'm not Catholic-not even all that religious really....I have read the
Trilogy at least 4 or 5 times...it was only the last time that I read it
that I "saw" the religion aspect and made corelations to
Christianity(not specifically Catholicism). It most certainly is not
preachy in that respect, it is very, very subtle and easy to overlook if
you are not familiar. For example, Ron saw Goldberry (Bombadil's wife)
as a Mary figure, I saw her as a "Mother Nature" figure. I suppose if
you were raised Catholic or were ingrained in Catholicism, you might see
certain aspects as being influenced by his religion, but like I said
before, it is subtle. You see what you want to see..again, it's good,
really good,,,,IMO, GREAT, fiction.

Bev

--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W