homestead - Re: [Homestead] They are sooooo cute

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] They are sooooo cute
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 14:34:10 -0400

On 6/9/06, clhw <clhw AT infoave.net> wrote:

Bev -- We usually keep the hen with the chicks, in a brood box, which your
setup sounds like a good version of, for 2 or 3 weeks.

Our broody hen (died last year) had two sets of chicks she hatched over
summer 02 and 03. The first batch hatched from our compost pile inside our
fenced garden. We didn't move her or the eggs--just let her do her thing.
The fence offered some protection from large predators (assisted by barking
Border Collies) and once hatched, they strolled throughout the garden. What
a sight, and what a proud mama. Our beloved rooster "Fox", killed two weeks
ago by our adopted stray Blue Heeler dog that promptly went to the pound
thereafter, was born in that first group. The second batch was hatched
pretty much the same way. She liked that compost pile--and it wasn't (still
isn't) the world's best made or put together compost pile.

Of the seven that were hatched the first time, we ended up having two hens
and two roosters live to full maturity. A couple died right away, don't
know if was the colder spring weather at night or whatnot, but they died
early on. The other one disappeared when it was a few weeks old--possibly
taken by a predator. We provided a water bowl and crumbles for them nearby
when they were camping in the garden.

Both times it was a wonderful experience, we're glad the boys got to witness
it.

Lisa