homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead heaven . . .

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead heaven . . .
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 20:59:06 -0500

On 6/4/06, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

. . . for Chris and I includes homemade pesto. ....We look forward to
fresh tomatoes.

One year we planted two long rows of basil and made pesto till our fingers
were raw. It freezes really well (though, like everything, it's better
fresh). We always froze just the basil and olive oil and added other
amendments later. That was a wonderful year. We made bread just so we'd have
something worthy of the pesto.

I got tomatoes at the farmer's market last week. They're of the hot house
variety but taste incredibly better than the ones from the super market (i.e.,
they have flavor). Of course, once mine ripen all you'll hear is chewing
sounds.

Marie, who managed to grow tomatoes in West Rogers Park before she escaped
the big city (that would be Chicago)