homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Digest, Vol 22, Issue 9

  • From: Sasha <mrkflux AT so.sbb.co.yu>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Digest, Vol 22, Issue 9
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 19:36:12 +0200

Hello,homesteaders,

TBH area a little bit complicated to manage comparing to a lang hive.It takes
much more patience and time to examine a top bar hive comparing to a lang.In
a lang you just have to pull out the frames ,where in a tbh you have to be
really carefull not to make a disaster because of comb crushing.I have lost
my best hive like this.The combs have been fresh and young and heavy from
honey.One of them had fall and then the domino effect started , overheating
has caused the complete breakdown.
But this does not mean that you cant work with a tbh,you can ,and many people
are enjoying with them.You have just to be more carefull.There is something
like a crossbreeding of a tbh and a lang,its called a long hive.You can see
some of my long hives here http://www.flickr.com/photos/33022131@N00/
I have converted my Tanzanian tbh into a long hive by just putting frames in
it instead of top bars.I have now only one classical tbh.
You can find a excellent web forum on beesource.com about tbh beekeeping with
many questions already answered.

Question for James,are you treating your bees with chemicals?

Best regards,Sasha from Serbia