homestead - [Homestead] EcoPrint Quiz

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] EcoPrint Quiz
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 14:50:36 -0700

So, here's a quiz for everyone to see what kind of "footprint" you're leaving
on this rather precarious earth.

It may show you how much more dependant you are than you realized.
http://www.ecofoot.org/

Lynda
From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 19:37:56 EDT
To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [Homestead] EcoPrint Quiz

> It may show you how much more dependant you are than you realized.
> http://www.ecofoot.org/

After annoying through the metric measurements (if God had intended for us to
use metrics, He'd have not given us feet) and answering frankly, the result
was:

If everyone lived like you, we'd need 1.0 planets.

However I take issue with the question about animal product consumption. On
the average, I suppose, it's germane. But it needn't be. We don't feed our
animals grains (more than incidentally) and the pasture and browse they use
ins't arable. That is, no cropland is taken out of production for human food
provide for our animals. Even the rabbits are fed almost entirely by
gathering weeds fro them.

Also I noticed that it calculated the space needed to provide for an
*individual* and said I'd need .8 hectares. There are six in this family
living the
same lifesyle so that comes to almost 14 acres in production to support us
..... the heck, you say! There are about nine acres in animal support and
six of
those are quite marginal. The orchards and gardens don't make up two acres.
If this were prime grassland (which it decidely is not) we'd need maybe five
or six acres total. Probably less.