homestead - Re: [Homestead] Top Bar Hives

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Top Bar Hives
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 09:23:18 EDT

> Maybe
> strange but they calmly cover my hand and one did the peck on the cheek
> I have always received when encountering bees. What is that?

It's a warning, 'This is as close as you should be to us, don't intrude any
further.' Bees are moody and you have to read their moods. Some days you
can
mess with the hive all you want with no suit and no smoke. Some days no
matter what you do, they are hell bent on driving you off. Most times they
recognize that you aren't a threat but if they feel uncomfortable they will
ping you
on the cheek or forehead to remind you to back off.

They don't want to use a stinger to drive you off unless absolutely necessary
because once one bee stings you, the "smell" of the sting will provoke scores
of bees to sting in the same place.

Also, they don't as yet have any brood to protect. They will get testier
when the queen begins to lay eggs, which will be very soon.