homestead - Re: [Homestead] CFR, was An article cheering the Supremes

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] CFR, was An article cheering the Supremes
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 09:11:46 EDT

> We are about at the point of no middle
> class and the workers get poorer (legals and illegals) and the Waltons and
> Bushies get richer!

The classic definition of 3rd world. And this is right, we are headed there
fast.

I've expressed the opinion before that in this country we are ceasing to do
or make (or grow) anything and yet we've made promises to all and sundry in
the
form of pensions, retirements, endowments, SS, and the like that they can dip
their fingers in a common pool of goods and services forever. The past few
decades of our history have been ploy after ploy of how to keep the fuel and
resources of the world coming to the US while we continue to do less and
less.
We are like a steamboat in mid ocean where we've been ripping up the
superstructure and decks to keep the boiler burning hotter and hotter and now
we are
getting down to the waterline.

Did you know that your SS number might be in use by half a dozen or more
people and you'd never know it? When the IRS and SS get funds reported to
them
using your SS number and the name does not match, they simply shurg their
shoulders and pocket the money. Same for bogus SS numbers. The people
assuming
those numbers can't apply for benefits so the government has a source of
money to
help keep the boat afloat for another round or two without having to pay
benefits. They are in NO hurry to run off the illegals.

Now, as to taking jobs, I had to venture into town for the first time in
weeks and was there longer than I thought I'd be so I decided to partake of
some
fast food swill to keep from being hungry. When I went through a few
'hamburger rows' I noticed that on the marquee signs every fast food joint
had the
very same thing advertised ... be it fish, burger, taco, pizza place. What
was
on the menu? "HELP WANTED". And a Lowe's, WalMart, Home Despot, Office Max,
and absolutely every other establishment I passed.

We have lots of Mexicans here. But how is it that they are taking all the
jobs if everyone here has a help wanted sign on their business? The Mexicans
work as farm hands, on logging crews, and in the constructions trades. Time
after time after time the proprietors of those businesses tell the same
thing,
they were at the point of going out of business because no one would show up
for
work ... until the Mexicans came.

Just since I've been on this list our country has given up its garment and
textile industries entirely, the auto industry, and is in the process of
giving
up its agricultural production. We were told that we were entering the
Service Industry phase of our economy and that we had the digital edge, only
to see
all those jobs go to India during that time. So as far as 'protecting our
workers' .... protect what? You can (if you've a mind to, and we don't)
defend
your workers who make real tangible goods against unfair competition, but how
do you defend the job of someone who shuffles papers from one side of a desk
the other or tosses about bags of air?