homestead - [Homestead] saved seed

  • From: Keith B <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] saved seed
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 10:57:37 -0500

I've been digging through my seed collection for an hour and can't find any onions! Not even chives! Unbelievable!

But it did make me realize how unorganized I am in this department. here's a list of my saved seeds:

Flowers and Herbs:

1 Ziplock baggy of, I think (no label) Hollyhocks (need cleaning, mostly hulls)
1 Ziplock (labeled with marker) red hollyhocks, no date
1 Ziplock (labeled with marker) foxglove, no date
1 cigarette cellophane (marker on masking tape) Cyprus vine, no date
1 envelope (labeled with marker) sweet Williams
1 Ziplock (labeled with marker) dill, 1996
1 envelope (labeled with blue pen) tobacco, 2004
1 envelope (blue pen) orange daisy from Rene, no date
1 brown paper lunch bag (black marker) red basil, 2005, whole tops (need cleaning)
1 brown paper lunch bag (black marker) green basil, 2005, whole tops (need cleaning)

Vegetables:

1 regular baggy (knotted, labeled with black marker) hot cherry peppers, 9/94
1 reg. baggy (knotted with cardboard label inside) sweet cherry peppers
1 reg. baggy (knotted, labeled with marker) little hot green peppers, 9/94
1 Ziplock (labeled with marker on masking tape) large bell peppers, 1997
1 half-envelope (labeled with black pen) hot red cherry peppers, 9/01
1 half-envelope (black pen) sweet banana peppers, 9/01
1 envelope (labeled with blue pen) green beans bush type, 2005
1 envelope (blue pen) straight-eight cucumber, no date
1 envelope (black pen) pumpkin, no date
1 brown paper lunch bag (black marker) buttercrunch lettuce, 2005, whole tops (need cleaning)
1 brown paper lunch bag (black marker) broccoli (calabrese), 2005, whole tops (need cleaning)

I'm thinking, of the various containers I like the half-envelopes the best, as for readability of labels (needed my reading glasses for the blue ink), the black marker. You may notice many of the peppers are outdated but I'll probably do a germination test before tossing them. James' method using a damp paper towel is how I've done it for years (Gin's mother showed me the trick in the '70s when she germinated some pot seeds, wondering what the plant looked like.)