homestead - Re: [Homestead] De Onionibus

  • From: "Rob Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] De Onionibus
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 23:43:23 -0500

I planted out my homegrown slips hand width apart
in all directions to allow for weeding. Weeks passed and I kept them weeded
but they grew not a wit. Then one day they just took off, grew massive tops,
and made a whole crop of softball sized onions.

Then next year it was the same only I didn't waste their time in the
greenhouse flats after they halted their growth, the went direclty into the garden.
This year I'm buying no slips, few sets, and I've got a dozen flats of them in
the greenhouse as we speak.

I planted onion seed this year. Planted in a flat and it has been up for a couple of weeks now. I got some day neutral onion seeds, because, I'm a little confused about long and short day varieties and southern Virginia. Seems I'm on the line.

Anyway, what should I expect then with these? Are they going to stay real thin "slips"? I won't be planting out until maybe the end of March or beginning of April. I'd heard to keep the leaves trimmed to about 3 inches?

Rob