homestead - Re: [Homestead] saved seed

  • From: "Lisa K. V. Perry" <lkvp AT floydva.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] saved seed
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 11:44:21 -0500

Keith B wrote:

But it did make me realize how unorganized I am in this department. here's a list of my saved seeds:

Flowers and Herbs:

1 Ziplock baggy of, I think (no label) Hollyhocks (need cleaning, mostly hulls)
1 Ziplock (labeled with marker) red hollyhocks, no date
1 Ziplock (labeled with marker) foxglove, no date

You are not alone. Great minds think alike! This is very method I've used. I have a light blue envelope from a birthday card full of squash-looking seeds. They are of the I've-narrowed-it-down-to-one-of-three-varieties variety. Why the heck I didn't label them is beyond me. And another smaller envlope inside a ziplock baggie full of tomato seeds. I know they are tomato seeds--but which kind? I grew four varieties last year. I think (there I go again) that I saved the seeds from the paste tomato, but I'm not 100% sure. Guess I'll plant some of the mystery seeds and find out. I haven't trusted my brain in the last few years--so why in that brilliant moment last summer did I trust it then? (If it was last summer, but I think it was.)

After deliberation, I tossed all seed older than five years and replaced some with new seed. This is the year--I have promised to myself--that if I get nothing else done or done correctly--that I will organize and come up with a better, organized storage method.
Lisa