homestead - Re: [Homestead] Speaking of homesteading

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Speaking of homesteading
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 20:54:42 -0600

<<Hope your wind has died down. I heard that this county had a problem with
coyotes when I bought here, but haven't heard or seen one yet.>>

It was much nicer today, though cold this morning (high 20s). Tomorrow,
temps are supposed to climb into the 50s. These wild swings in the weather
have been tougher on the adult goats, I think, than on the kids. This
morning there was lots of crankiness amongst the mothers. Everyone seemed
okay tonight though one of the kids seemed a little droopy. I have one more
doe ready to kid; she plopped herself down as close to me as possible and
gave me a good hard look, then went back to cudding. I will be getting up
earlier in the morning than usual (and she'll probably still be lying there
cudding).

Back when we were running the dairy, I was sure that the sound of the
compressor going on when we started to milk induced labor. I'd be in the
middle of milking and Jim would offer to relieve me so I could crawl about
drying off babies.

And now I'd better go to bed so I can haul my sorry butt out of bed tomorrow
morning.

Marie